Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mollie Hunter

Mollie Hunter is, as I see her, Scotland's finest storyteller. I chose her for my bookwraith because her books sit on the library shelves gathering dust. Her books run the age gamut of children's fantasy to historical fiction for adults. Her fantasy books are rooted in Celtic folklore and the historical books bring to life Scotland's past. A Sound of Chariots and I'll Go My Own Way are my favorite young adult books. What are yours? Check them out at your library or they will be discarded and disappear into a Highland mist.

3 comments:

Annehueser said...

I've not read many but I definitely want to read more.

Annehueser said...

I just finished The King's Swift Rider. It was excellent. It tells the story of Robert the Bruce's battle to free Scotland, culminating in the Battle at Bannockburn, using the fictional character of Martin, who served Robert the Bruce as everything but a soldier. I highly recommend it.

Annehueser said...

I also read another Mollie Hunter book, The Smartest Man in Ireland. Despite it taking place in Ireland instead of Scotland, I found it delightful, full of fairies and tales that show the main character to be finally the smartest man in Ireland.