Thursday, July 14, 2011

Diana Gabaldon

I attended the Sir Walter Scott Conference in Wyoming and listened to Diana Gabaldon's presentation and was surprised at how funny and intelligent this lady is. Being interested in Scottish literature, I checked out the cd version of the first book in her Outlander series (her books are rather long and I thought this was the best way to approach a new author). Since way too many chapters involving intimate moments between the leading characters interrupted an interesting story, I had discounted her as a serious author. Perhaps I am mistaken. Additionally, I did meet her up close and personal. I wore my kilt to a banquet which I have considered a cultural expression beyond my Highland dance competition years. Being interested in kilted characters, she approached me and I was somewhat taken aback by this attractive celebrity approaching me. Fortunately for me, my wife came to my rescue before I could put my ghillie in my mouth.
For those interested in meeting this remarkable author online, I would suggest listening to her podcasts at http://www.dianagabaldon.com/fun/fun_podcasts.html

1 comment:

Annehueser said...

Meeting Diana Gabaldon was fun. The conference was lots of fun, with the scotch tasting before the banquet a high point. The mountains were great! And we saw snow!