Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Greenvoe

Almost finished with George Mackay Brown's Greenvoe and was planning on waiting until the finish before posting my impressions of this book until I read, "She was young in the ruins of her body" and "The sky was a broken net of stars above them."  There are many moments in this book that are striking and which only a poetic sensibility could compose in supporting the thread of the story.  I am not certain Orkney considers itself to be Scottish, but I will add this to my blog and hope that it survives the tsunami of popular culture because this book should be read. 

2 comments:

Annehueser said...

What is Greenvoe about? What kind of story is it? I need more information before I commit to trying to save it from the Book Wraith.

Book Wraith said...

The plot itself involves a government entity and its effect on an Orkney community. The book, however, is not necessarily plot driven. Its description of the eccentric (and not necessarily sympathetic) characters of this community and their way of life makes this book worth reading. The author's use of the written word make it a worthwhile read. However, it does sit on the shelf of the public library collecting dust so the Book Wraith is anticipating another entry in his registry.