Sunday, May 17, 2020

Woodstock or the Cavalier

This novel takes place after the battle of Worcester in which several thousand Scottish soldiers were taken prisoner and sent to New England and the West Indies (not a part of the book but useful if researching genealogy).  I enjoyed the scenes which involved Cromwell and/or King Charles (in disguise of course).  I especially found interesting the revealing section where Cromwell ordered the execution of the Lee family (very bad) and their dog (very, very bad) which fortunately was not carried out.  He totally forgot this and was surprised to hear about this shortly afterwards. 

Alice Lee was another one of Scott's heroines who showed a strength of character which in many cases surpassed the men around her.

I just finished a few books on The Glorious Revolution so I chose this to glean a little from the history a bit earlier short before the Restoration.

1 comment:

Annehueser said...

I'm so glad the dog wasn't killed.